The Tidemark Theatre is located on the traditional unceded territory of the Ligwiłda’xw people: the We Wai Kai, Wei Wai Kum, and Kwiakah First Nations.
History of the Tidemark Theatre
The Tidemark Theatre is an art deco, 467 seat performing arts venue located in Campbell River, British Columbia on Northern Vancouver Island. The Tidemark Theatre is located at 1220 Shoppers Row in downtown Campbell River, and is notably one the most prominent buildings downtown as depicted by its bright pink exterior.
The Tidemark Theatre, originally the Van Isle Theatre, was built in 1946. The official opening was celebrated on January 2, 1947. In 1985, the City of Campbell River purchased the property and converted the Van Isle Theatre into the Tidemark Theatre; the grand opening was held October 1987. Soon afterwards the Tidemark Theatre Society was created and a management agreement between the Tidemark Theatre Society and the City of Campbell River was signed.
The Tidemark Theatre has been operating as a community theatre and presenter since 1987, and is one of seven heritage sites identified by the City of Campbell River proposed to receive heritage designation. The primary activities undertaken by the Tidemark Theatre Society are focused on the presentation of performing arts, visual arts, media arts, as well as preservation and exhibition of heritage through the revitalization of the Tidemark Theatre.