North Island Zone Drama Festival (Rivercity Stage)
Rivercity Players is excited to be hosting the 2016 Theatre BC North Island Zone Drama Festival. This event will bring guests involved in the world of theatre to Campbell River from communities of Nanaimo north.
Theatre BC is divided into 10 Regional Zones that encompass the province. Each year these regional zones hold festivals in order to determine a ‘best of the best’ performance. The winners of these Zone Festivals then proceed onto the Annual Provincial Theatre Festival— DESTINATION MAINSTAGE! held in July.
Professional adjudicator Kathryn Shaw will be in attendance, and after each performance, will offer her comments about the production. The next morning, she will lead an in depth adjudication, where the production is discussed in detail. These sessions are open to the public and very informative for anyone interested in theatre. Shaw is a Canadian director, actor and writer, currently living in Vancouver. She has been the artistic director for Studio 58 at Langara College since 1985.
At the end of the week, an award ceremony is held, where Shaw will announce the results of the competition. As well as Best Production, awards will also be given in areas such as lead and supporting male and female actors, sound design, lighting design, costume design, set design, graphic design, best director and ensemble acting.
The Festival runs from May 15-21. There is an interesting line-up of plays for theatre lovers to experience – from the classics to an original script!
- Big Maggie Rivercity Players, Campbell River – Sunday, May 15th at 7:30 pm
- Someone Who’ll Watch Over Me Portal Players Dramatic Society, Port Alberni – Monday, May 16th at 7:30 pm
- Love Song Nanaimo Theatre Group, Nanaimo – Tuesday, May 17th at 7:30 pm
- Speak Easy TheatreWorks Centre for Performing Art, Courtenay – Wednesday, May 18th at 7:30 pm
- A Doll’s House ECHO Players, Qualicum Beach – Thursday, May 19th at 7:30 pm
- The Tempest Courtenay Little Theatre, Courtenay – Friday, May 20th at 7:30 pm
All performances are to be held at Rivercity Stage 1080 Hemlock St.
3-Play Pass: $52 (+applicable taxes and fees) **please indicate which 3 plays you ould like in the comments!**
6-Play Pass: $100 (+applicable taxes and fees)
Individual tickets available under each performance title